Wednesday 28 April 2010

Email from Nghiem

Dear Lydia,

I hope you are well. I am sorry for the delay, I've got a massive deadline
for the next Ology book so my focus has been try to get that already for
print.

I hope everything is going well and you have been able continue working.

Thank you for showing me your storyboard. It looks great! I have some advice
and recommendations for you, take onboard what you like.

* Most of the time, we try to keep any new material as a continuation of the
conceit. For example, a piece of silent film captured in the late Victorian
era. Then try and be as similar as you can within the practicalities of the
project.

* Try to stick to similar looking typefaces which are already part of the
brand. If there are handwriting samples from Dr Drake then it should be in
his handwriting font.

* In Dragonology it is all about conversation, so we never encourage any
capturing of dragons. (All too serious I know but that's the story). So
please can you change the title to "How to Tame a Dragon".

The style of the 'story' suggests to me a slightly comical style to your
animation. Which is perfect! I think it all looks great. I just have one
recommendation which I recommend hoping not to cause you more work but to
give you a more rounded film...

* Please forgive me, remind me, were you thinking about basing your dragon
on a 'knucker'? If you are then, they live in damp holes near riverbanks
etc. rather than caves. They also have small wings on their backs too but
they don't fly. If you base your dragon on a small/young European, you could
keep the cave and may give you more opportunities with the note below.

* The sequence shows how to tame your dragon but once you have, what do you
do with it? What could you do with it? This is my suggestion to you.
Somewhere near your frame showing 'time passing' where day turns into night,
perhaps you could show some stills of some ideas about what you would do
with your tame dragon?
I.e. Flying on your dragon high in the sky. Or, Hand-feed your dragon a
roast chicken. Or play football with your dragon...etc. Go mad with crazy
ideas!

I look forward to seeing your film, Lydia. I'll try and get to the O2 for
Rave live. These notes would be the same comments I would send back for any
live commission but this is your project and I respect any decision you make
for your film.

I'm still chasing on that written agreement for you but you keep going. If
there was going to be a problem at this end, I would tell you by now.

Good luck.
Nghiem

-------------

Ok so analyzing the feedback from Nghiem, there are changes which will be made to the animation such as;

- The visualized style is to create the animation piece influenced by silent film captured in the late Victorian
era.

- Keep the text and font similar to the book if not the same, and if its Dr Drakes handwriting, have it being Dr Drakes handwriting.

- Change the title to "How to Tame a Dragon". "In Dragonology it is all about conversation, so we never encourage any
capturing of dragons" Nghiem said.

Andrew and I have based ours on the Knucker although the setting in a cave is wrong so, changing we're having the same animation but on a diffrernt stage. The new stage being an opening in woods where there is a broken well

Nghiem wants to see what we can do with this tamed dragon!

"Showing the dragon is tamed, Flying on your dragon high in the sky. Or, Hand-feed your dragon a roast chicken. Or play football with your dragon
do with it? What could you do with it?

For this i am going to look through the book and pick out some potential animations.

------------

Unfortunately i was unable to work this week as i was unwell, so i need to look at the work left to do and sort out a schedule which will allow Andrew and I to have this work completed in time.
Also i need to start looking at what i think are good and negative in existing showreels/dvd menus. To start planning the dvd layout when in DVD SP too. I am familiar with the software so hopefully i can up the game and make something awesome to put me ahead and stand out from the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment